Your Guide to Commercial Rainwater Harvesting Systems
Commercial rainwater harvesting systems are becoming increasingly popular among businesses of all sizes. Water scarcity is emerging as a severe problem in the modern world, with UNICEF predicting half of the world’s population could be facing limited water access by 2025.
What’s more, dwindling access to safe water has led to an acceleration in water costs, with bills for water increasing by more than 43% in the last decade.
Commercial rainwater harvesting systems present an eco-friendly, and economically beneficial option to business leaders. By utilizing large-scale harvesting systems, companies can conserve millions of gallons of water, saving money, and protecting the planet.
Here’s why commercial rainwater harvesting systems are now a must-have for any business owner looking to reduce water costs, and improve their environmental footprint.
Understanding Commercial Rainwater Harvesting Systems
Commercial rainwater harvesting systems allow companies to collect large amounts of rainwater, repurposing it for a variety of applications. Using a rainwater harvesting tank, companies can rapidly collect, store, and utilize high-quality water that would otherwise be wasted.
Not only do these solutions reduce water bills, but they can also minimize carbon emissions, and lower reliance on mains water supplies. While the structure and design of a rainwater harvesting system can vary, most solutions include the following components:
- Storage tanks: A storage tank is the main component of a rainwater harvesting system. To access the right benefits, companies will need to ensure they’re selecting an appropriately sized tank, based on their water needs. It’s also crucial to choose a tank that offers exceptional durability for reliable rainwater collection.
- Rainwater collection systems: Rainwater is collected for a storage tank from the roof of commercial buildings, using gutters, downspouts, and filters to improve water quality. These systems must be regularly maintained to ensure the system maintains efficiency.
- Water treatment: Water treatment solutions within a commercial harvesting system transform surface water and stormwater runoff into potable water. This allows rainwater to be used for various purposes, including to create safe drinking water.
Depending on their needs, companies can access a range of different styles of commercial rainwater harvesting systems, including ground tank and surface water systems. Ground tank solutions placed underground offer space-saving benefits, and improved aesthetic appeal. Alternatively, surface tanks are easier to maintain, and are often more cost effective.
The Benefits of Commercial Rainwater Harvesting Systems
The benefits of commercial rainwater harvesting systems are becoming increasingly clear in today’s world. Many companies are already looking for ways to reduce water consumption, to improve their environmental impact, and lower costs. The right commercial rainwater harvesting system, installed, and maintained by an effective team, can:
- Reduce costs: Companies can significantly reduce their water bills with rainwater harvesting systems, thanks to reduced water consumption. These solutions can reduce water usage by as much as 40%. What’s more, many government bodies are now offering rebates and financial incentives to companies willing to utilize rainwater collection systems.
- Environmental sustainability: Leveraging commercial rainwater harvesting systems reduces the strain companies place on municipal water supplies. These tools can help companies to apply for BREEAM certifications and similar accolades, which can improve customer loyalty. What’s more, rainwater harvesting can also mitigate stormwater runoff, reducing the impact it has on municipal water supplies.
- Reliable water supply: A rainwater collection system can act as a backup water source, ensuring fresh water is always available, regardless of restrictions or water shortages. This is crucial to not only ensuring companies can access fresh drinking water, but also guaranteeing water is available on-site for emergencies, fires, and other threats.
- Water quality: Rainwater collection processes allow companies access to high-quality water. Rainwater is naturally soft, and features minimal dissolved solids. Additionally, rainwater harvesting systems utilize water treatment processes to further improve water quality, for potable water requirements.
- Multiple applications: Harvested rainwater can be utilized for both potable water and non-potable water purposes. Companies can use collected rainwater for toilet flushing, cleaning, and irrigation, as well as for drinking water in some cases.
- Landscape irrigation: Rainwater harvested in a commercial system can also effectively supplement and replace municipal water for landscape irrigation. This further reduces the strain on local water resources, and allows for greater operational cost savings.
Installing a Commercial Rainwater Harvesting System: Considerations
While commercial rainwater harvesting systems can deliver a host of benefits to companies, leveraging the full advantages of these systems does require some careful planning and consideration. Before installing a rainwater harvesting solution, companies will need to:
1. Assess water consumption
Installing the right sized storage tank and water treatment system is crucial with a rainwater harvesting system. Companies will need to calculate their water usage, based on factors like location occupancy, industry type and processes, to choose the right tank size.
Taking the right precautions to evaluate current water consumption before installing a new system will ensure companies can unlock the greatest benefits from their investment.
2. Examine space and site requirements
The right type of rainwater harvesting solution for your business will depend heavily on your current infrastructure. The right amount of roof space needs to be available for rainwater collection. Additionally, it’s important to consider the benefits of both above-ground and below-ground tanks.
While below-ground tanks may be more attractive to those with limited space, above-ground solutions could be more appealing for ease of maintenance.
3. Cost analysis
While the cost of installing a storage tank and water treatment system for rainwater collection can be high at first, the eventual cost savings can be far more significant. Companies that invest the right time and money into choosing the correct solution and having it professionally installed will be able to access a higher return on investment in the long term.
With the right calculations, business leaders will be able to ensure their system can help them reduce their water bills, and leverage potential incentives and tax benefits.
4. Maintenance and upkeep
Regular maintenance is crucial to unlocking the full potential of a commercial rainwater collection system. Routine maintenance can include everything from regular inspections to cleaning, to ensure the efficiency and continued operation of gutters, filters, and storage tanks.
Investing in strategies like consistent debris removal, filter replacements, and water quality monitoring will help businesses to discover the true potential of their harvesting solution.
Investing in Commercial Rainwater Harvesting Solutions
Investing in commercial rainwater harvesting systems can be an excellent way for business leaders to not only reduce their water bills, but improve their impact on the planet. The right solution will lower your water costs and carbon footprint, while ensuring you have consistent access to reliable, and high-quality water for a range of purposes.
In a world where sustainability is becoming increasingly important, investing in the right commercial rainwater harvesting system can pay huge dividends for today’s companies.
Contact DB Sales today to learn how our rainwater harvesting solutions, installation, and maintenance services can help you to transform your business. Reach out now for a customized quote.
Call (714) 897-1036
Or request a quote.
Wahaso’s water harvesting solutions are designed to save money and protect the environment. They deliver a complete suite of water harvesting products to various commercial projects, providing clients with low maintenance requirements and as well as low operating costs. Wahaso provides complete design/build water harvesting solutions for a variety of needs.
Wahaso Water Harvesting Solutions
- Rainwater Harvesting
- Greywater Harvesting
- Stormwater Harvesting
- Condensate Harvesting
More information about the Wahaso water harvesting solutions and the services provided by DB Sales & Service.